Thursday, July 9, 2009

Books Books and more Books

So I've learned something about myself. I get into something and I can't stop. Somedays (unfortunately) it's TV or video or computer games. Occasionally, it will be something constructive like geneology. Lately, it has been reading. I love to read. The latest in my quest for knowledge (or something like that)...

Cheaper by the Dozen by Gilbreth (I think). I read this for book club in April. It was the last book I finished before I started the other 4 in the last 10 days or so. It was a super fun easy read. IT IS A COMPLETELY different story than the movie. It's about a family with 12 kids, and the things their dad/parents taught them. It's a biography but readable as fiction (I'm not a non-fiction fan AT ALL).

The Note by Angela Hunt. It was okay. Worth reading but not on the top of my request list. It's about a reporter who finds a note written by a father to a child right before his plane crashes. The reporter is searching to find the child to return this lost note and final message from the father. As she does this, she grows and learns about herself also.

The Fabelhaven series by Muller (I think). I've read the first two of these and just started the 3rd (of 4) tonight. They are children's books (like upper elementary probably). The series is about a preserve for enchanted creatures (like faires, goblins, witches, trolls, etc). The main characters, a teenage girl and an 11ish yr old boy, go to stay with their grandparents who are the caretakers for this preserve. They get into a lot of trouble as they discover the truth about Fablehaven. They are fun to read but not at all on the same level as Harry Potter. Definitly kids's books, whereas Harry Potter could have been directed towards adults.

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Hosseini. Beautiful. Difficult to read. It is about the treatment of women in Afghanistan through the eyes of a "bastard" woman and a girl who lost her parents to a bomb. It is by the same author as the Kite Runner and I'd say is more difficult to read but just as rewarding if not more so. I love the bits of history that he includes about the rule of Afghanistan and what their people have been through. If you can handle a little disturbing to reach a redeeming end, I highly recommend (I almost quit with about 50 pages left because I couldn't take it anymore. I'm very glad I finished).

No comments:

Some of my recent reads

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog