Friday, July 24, 2009

Bay Bridge Tour

Last week Nick and I got to go on a boat tour of the Bay Bridge construction. It was really neat and a HUGE endeavor. They are closing the bay bridge Thursday night of Labor Day weekend and reopening Tuesday morning so that they can create a detour through Treasure Island. It is crazy the technology and physics of what they are doing! Even I (who knows NOTHING about engineering) was amazed. Their website: baybridgeinfo.org. It has simulations of what they are doing. It even won a Webby (which I guess is a big deal).


We were so official with our hard hats, safety glasses, work boots and life jackets. We were so protected so that if someone threw something off the bridge we wouldn't get injured.


Two shots of the old bridge and the new bridge side by side. (The old bridge is the one made of steel). They attached steel "netting" (I don't know what else to call it) under the new bridge so that the species of birds that live under the old bridge would have somewhere to go when they take down the old bridge. It's kind of crazy the things they've thought of (or environmentalists have made them think of).

This is a mulit-million (like 45 million if I remember right) dollar crane that takes pieces of scaffolding off of the boat from Shainghi (I know I can't spell) and onto the barge for building the bridge. This whole process won't actually be part of the bridge, it's just there until the suspension cables are attached.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Some of my recent reads

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog